In this Preschool Prodigies music lesson, we add the notes E and G to our practice with the note C. We learn that these three notes make up a chord, and we practice playing these bells together in different patterns.
In “Do Mi Sol Slide,” we...
- Learn that a chord is a group of 3 musical notes that sound good together
- Learn the C Major chord is built off the note C and contains the notes E and G
- Meet the 3rd note in our scale, the yellow bell E or Mi
- Meet the 5th note in our scale, the teal bell G or Sol
- Practice playing and singing UP and DOWN a C MAJOR chord
- Sing and read the words “Let Us Play” as we play C, E & G
Do Mi Sol Slide Follow Up Activities
Inside the Chapter 1 workbook, you’ll find lots of worksheets that reinforce the C Major chord.
You can also login to your account at home and continue practicing with Do Mi Sol Slide.
If you don’t have an instrument, try using the “Do” hand sign (two fists at your waist), the Mi hand sign (hands up with fingers bent inward at 90 degrees), and the Sol hand sign (both hands out flat as though you’re going to give two thumbs up, then extend the fingers). You can learn more about the hand-signs in 8.1 or in PsP Melodies!
In order for students to advance in their understanding of a C chord it’s important to play through the C chord both ways: i.e. C, E, G, then our learners go the other way; G, E, C or Sol, Mi, Do.
You can also ask your child simple questions about what they learned in music this week. Some examples are…
1. What is a chord?
2. What colors make up the C Major Chord?
3. Can you sing a C chord up and down?
There’s also a 1.L Listening Game supplement that focuses on the notes Do Mi Sol, which is a great lesson to watch immediately after this lesson.
Next week, we’ll play a listening game with the chord we introduced today.! We’ll use our ears to try and determine whether we are listening to the C Major Chord, or the sound of lightning and thunder. This is really just a warm-up for the idea of listening games, but the games will get more and more complex with each chapter.